A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St Bartholomew's Anglican Church
St Bartholomew's Anglican Church 09-07-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
St Bartholomew's Anglican Church 09-07-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

St Bartholomew's Anglican Church

Alstonville, NSW 2477

Church Information

Church Name: St Bartholomew's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 6 The Avenue, Alstonville NSW 2477, Australia
Suburb: Alstonville
State: NSW
Postcode: 2477
Foundation Stone Laid: 20-08-1913
Foundation Stone Notes: Foundation stone records: To the Glory of God - this stone - was laid by - Bishop C H Druitt DD - Aug 20th AD 1913.
Date Opened: 11-03-1915
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

" In 1896 the first St Bartholomew’s Church was built at Ocean View on land donated by Mr John Perry MLAA... In 1905 the decision was taken to relocate the original St Bartholomew’s Church to 1 The Avenue in Alstonville. The first resident Priest was the Reverend HH Mirrington who was appointed in January 1909 and took up residence in the Rectory which had been built at 3 The Avenue – alongside the church. In that same year (1909) land was purchased across the road from the then St Bartholomew’s church for the purpose of building an enlarged and more permanent church...On 20 August 1913 Bishop Druitt laid the foundation stone, and it took less than two years to complete using stone brought by bullock dray from a quarry on the property of the Anstey family at Tregeagle. The original roof was made of slate. On 7 March 1915 saw the last service conducted at the original church, and four days later on 11 March 1915 the dedication of the new stone church took place. The former church became known as the Church Hall...Sunday 18 August 2013 witnessed a celebration service of thanksgiving, communion and re-enactment of the laying of the foundation stone in 1913.  A large crowd of parishioners and community members attended the service. Two years later on 15 March 2015, a thanksgiving service celebrating the centenary of the dedication of St Bartholomew’s was conducted by The Right Reverend Sarah Macneil, Diocesan Bishop."  (Extract from Church Website - https://alstonvilleanglicanchurch.org/history/).

Phtographs uploaded 16/11/2018



A comprehensie Hhistory of the churchhas now been published - A Vision Splendid - Author/publisher are not known.
Last Updated: Friday 16th November, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH