Haigslea Uniting Church - Former
Haigslea Uniting Church - Hall - Former 05-04-2014 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
Haigslea Uniting Church - Hall - Former Haigslea Methodist Church Building 00-00-1965 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

Haigslea Uniting Church - Former

Haigslea, QLD 4306

Church Information

Church Name: Haigslea Uniting Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Haigslea Congregational Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 765 Thagoona Haigslea Rd, Haigslea QLD 4306, Australia
Suburb: Haigslea
State: QLD
Postcode: 4306
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: 29-03-2020
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former Haigslea Uniting Church closed on 29/3/2020. 'After 109 years, the Haigslea Unitng Church was due to celebrate a service of dissolution and closue on 29 March. But with the COVID-19 pandemic making public gatherings impossible, minister Rev Peter Taubner took alternative avenues to speak of the impact of the church upon the local community outside of Ipswich, west of Briabane...Peter recorded a video from both the outside and inside [of] the church as a means to thank those who would have attended if possible. ' (Extract  from - https://journeyonline.com.au/scoop/farewell-to-haigslea-uniting-church-after-109-years-of-service/ ).

The Haigslea Uniting Church was the former Haigslea Congregational Church, which was built about 1911. A Mrs Elizabeth Littmann was a foundation member of the former Congregational Church. It became the Haigslea Uniting Church in June 1977. The present church hall was the original Kirchheim/Haigslea Methodist Church building, which was moved to the former Congregational Church site. 

More historical information/photgraphs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 29/10/2016.



More of the Haigslea Uniting Church story: Kirchheim the ‘home’ or ’place of churches’ has a record of groups forming and then dividing and reforming until there was many branches of the Lutheran Church. These in turn had there breakaways. It is reported that one of the Lutheran Churches in the eastern end of Haigslea (St Paul’s Lutheran) insisted on everything being spoken in the German language. Because of this a number of members voted with their feet and moved out, becoming the core of the gathering from which the Congregational Church was formed (1911). Prior to this in 1885 the Evangelical church opened at Kirchheim, later known as the Wesleyan and Methodist Church. Today, this is the building behind the Church known as the hall. In 1972 because of a decline of the population in the region a Co-operative parish between the three Congregational Churches (Haigslea-Walloon-Rosewood) and the Lowood Methodist Circuit, this formed the Lowood Rosewood Co-operative parish. During this time of Co-operation a flourishing youth group of 50 young people gathered for their activities. On the 22nd of June 1977 The Uniting Church of Australia (UCA) was officially inaugurated. We must pay tribute to those who have gone before us for without their foresight and God’s grace this Church wouldn't be operating today.

From Church website - 2017 - https://haigslea-uca.wixsite.com/home/history

Last Updated: Saturday 18th April, 2020
ADVANCED SEARCH