Ballarat Central Uniting Church
Ballarat Central Uniting Church 07-03-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Ballarat Central Uniting Church - Hall 07-03-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Ballarat Central Uniting Church

Ballarat Central, VIC 3350

Church Information

Church Name: Ballarat Central Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Lydiard Street Methodist Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 103 Lydiard St S, Ballarat Central VIC 3350, Australia
Suburb: Ballarat Central
State: VIC
Postcode: 3350
Foundation Stone Laid: 11-12-1883
Foundation Stone Notes: Foundation stone records: This foundation stone - was laid by - Hon James Campbell MLC - 11 ~ 12 ~ 83.
Date Opened: 00-12-1884
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The first Methodist service was held in the Ballarat area on 28/9/1851. During the second half of the nineteenth century a number of Methodist churhes were built, the most prominemt of which was the Wesley Church, in Lydiard Street.

The first Wesleyan Church in Lydiard Street was opened on 4/3/1855. The Wesleyan Sunday School was opened on 8/1/1872.

The seeds for the formation of the current church/parish in 2008 were laid when the Dawson Street, Congregational Church and the Wesley Methodist Churches united in May 1977. This congregation became the Lydiard Street Uniting Church following the establsihment of the Uniting Church in Australia in June 1977. The St Andrew's Presbyterian Church also became part of the Uniting Church in June 1977 and together the two churches formed the Ballarat Central Parish of the Uniting Church. The two congregations subsequently came together at the Lydiard Street property and the St Andrews Church property is currently for sale.

More historical information/photographs of the original and current churches/congregations are invited. Photographs uploaded 11/3/2017.

Last Updated: Sunday 28th January, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH