St Philip's Presbyterian Church - Former
St Philip's Presbyterian Church - Former 04-04-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Philip's Presbyterian Church - Former 04-04-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Philip's Presbyterian Church - Former

Newcastle, NSW 2300

Church Information

Church Name: St Philip's Presbyterian Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Presbyterian Church of Australia
Street Address: 48 Watt St, Newcastle NSW 2300, Australia
Suburb: Newcastle
State: NSW
Postcode: 2300
Foundation Stone Laid: 05-04-1905
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: St Philip's Presbyterian Church - This stone was laid on 5th April, 1905 - by the Right Rev R H Waugh MA - Moderator Presbyterian Church, NSW - Rev T S Crawford MA - Minister...

A plaque records: Military Barrack - The first building on the southern side of this block was a military barracks erected in the early years of the penal settlement and enlarged by Captain James Wallis, Commandant 1816~18. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was erected on the site of the barracks in 1850 and was rebuilt in Laman Street in 1890. The present St Philip's Church was erected in 1905, having previously existed at 178 Hunter Street from 1863.

A stone records: This memorial stone was laid by - Mrs T S Crawford - wife of Rev T S Crawford MA - Founder of this church - 1905.

A stone records: This memorial stone was laid - by - Rev W Bain - Founder of Hunter St., Church - 1863.

The former church also contains many war memorial plaques and an Honour Roll.

Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former St Philip's Presbyterian Church, Newcastle property is now privately owned. No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 13/9/2019.
Last Updated: Friday 13th September, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH