Drummoyne Presbyterian Church
Drummoyne Presbyterian Church 11-08-2002 - Alan Patterson

Drummoyne Presbyterian Church

Drummoyne, NSW 2047

Church Information

Church Name: Drummoyne Presbyterian Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Presbyterian Church of Australia
Street Address: 64 College St, Drummoyne NSW 2047, Australia
Suburb: Drummoyne
State: NSW
Postcode: 2047
Foundation Stone Laid: 26-10-1912
Foundation Stone Notes: 

(The Daily Telegraph - 28 October 1912)  "DRUMMOYNE PRESBYTERIANS. — <> — — FOUNDATION-STONES LAID. For some time past the Presbyterian community at Drumroyne has increased at such a rate that for the last two years the church has not been large enough for those wishing to attend. But the new church now being built opposite the Town-hall, and which will be opened at Easter, will accommodate 420, instead of 220. Two foundation-stones were laid on Saturday, the honors being awarded to Mrs J. H. Goodlet (wife of Colonel Goodlet, who allocated ground years ago) and Mr. Henry Perdriau (treasurer of the church).

One foundation stone records: This stone - was laid by - Mrs J H Goodlet - on October 26th 1912.

Formal text details of the other foundation stone are invited.

Date Opened: 26-04-1913
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

Drummoyne Presbyterian Church began in the 1880s, with the first meetings held in the pub at the corner of Lyons Road & Victoria Road, Drummoyne.

(The Daily Telegraph - 28 April 1913)   "DRUMMOYNE PRESBYTERIAN The new Presbyterian Church building at Drummoyne, erected as a memorial to tho late Rev. George Grimm, was dedicated on Saturday. It accommodate 450 worshippers. The old building erected at the back of the grounds is now used as a hall. Rev. Professor M'Intyre, in his sermon on the occasion, elucidated the text, "He hath set eternity In their hearts." In a subsequent address the preacher congratulated the people on the perfect acoustics of the building. Various members of the congregation gave liberally towards the church furnishings, and a fine new pipe organ is among the gifts. Rev. S. B. Reid, the minister, was presented with a new gown and cassock, by the female members of the congregation".

No other details are known about the church. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 9/4/2018.

Last Updated: Monday 9th April, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH