Ballarat Central Uniting Church - Former
Ballarat Central Uniting Church - Former 08-03-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Ballarat Central Uniting Church - Former 08-03-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Ballarat Central Uniting Church - Former

Ballarat Central, VIC 3350

Church Information

Church Name: Ballarat Central Uniting Church - Former
Church Previous Name: St Andrew's Presbyterian Church
Denomination: Other Denominations
Street Address: Sturt St & Dawson St N, Ballarat Central VIC 3350, Australia
Suburb: Ballarat Central
State: VIC
Postcode: 3350
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-00-1862
Foundation Stone Notes: No formal Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: 14-08-1864
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

Notice board records that the congregation was formed in 1855, and built a wooden church on this site in 1857.  The foundation stone for the present building was laid in 1862 and building completed in 1864. The porch and vestry were added in 1873 and the tower and spire in 1884.

The St Andrew's congregation became part of the Uniting Church in June 1977, also becoming part of the Ballarat Central Parish of the Uniting Church, with the Lydiard Street Uniting Church. The two congregations subsequently came together at the Lydiard Street property to form the Ballarat Central Uniting Church in 2008. The St Andrews Church property is currently for sale.

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 12/3/2017.

Last Updated: Sunday 12th March, 2017
ADVANCED SEARCH