St Stephen's Lutheran Church
St Stephen's Lutheran Church - Hall 17-11-2018 - Lucas Matuschka
St Stephen's Lutheran Church 17-11-2018 - Lucas Matuschka

St Stephen's Lutheran Church

Rainbow, VIC 3424

Church Information

Church Name: St Stephen's Lutheran Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Lutheran
Street Address: Cust St & Albert St, Rainbow VIC 3424, Australia
Suburb: Rainbow
State: VIC
Postcode: 3424
Foundation Stone Laid: 25-07-1952
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: St Stephen's - Evangelical Lutheran Church - this stone was laid - To The Glory of God - 27th July 1952 - Ephesians 2:20.

A plaque records: 1895-1995 - Erected 11 June 1995 - by the descendants of - Friedrich Wilhelm - & Emma Emilie Friebel - First Lutheran Church Service - held in their home - by Pastor G Backen - on Trinity Sunday 9 June 1895 - To God Be The Glory.

A stone tablet records: "Lord, it is good - for us to be here" Mat 17:4 - St Stephen's Congregation - Rainbow - Celebrating 100 Years - 6th Oct 1912 ~ 7th Oct 2012.

A plaque on the hall next door records: To The Glory of God - Nov 4 1962.

Date Opened: 23-08-1953
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The St Stephen's Lutheran Church, Rainbow. "Pastor G Backen of the Ni Ni Parsh conducted the first Lutheran church service in the Rainbow district on 14th January, 1894, in the house of Mr Roll at Kemare. The following year he also conducted services at the home of Mr F Friebel on Trinity Sunday, 9th June 1895. At a meeting on 21st July 1895, also at Mr Friebel's house, the Rainbow Evangelical Lutheran congregation was formed. The congregation took the name St Stephen's on 6th October 1912, when St John's Church at nearby Pella was founded. The manse, neighbouring the church, was formerly a hospital and was purchased the same year for 1,300 pounds. Up until this point the pastor had lived at Pella, 12km east of Rainbow. For many years St Stephen's had no home of its own and worshipped in the Rainbow Mechanics' Hall. The ground-breaking for the present church took place on 27th July 1952. The foundation stone was laid on 27th July the same year and the church was consecrated on 23rd August, 1953. The total cost of the building and furnishings was 15,500 pounds. The foundation stone of the nearby church hall was laid on 4th November, 1962. The building was dedicated on 3rd November, 1963" [Text provided by Lucas Matuschka - 20/3/2020].More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 20/3/2020.

Last Updated: Friday 20th March, 2020
ADVANCED SEARCH