Hermannsburg Lutheran Church

Hermannsburg Lutheran Church

Hermannsburg, NT 0872

Church Information

Church Name: Hermannsburg Lutheran Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Lutheran
Street Address: 47 Raberaba Circuit, Hermannsburg NT 0872, Australia
Suburb: Hermannsburg
State: NT
Postcode: 0872
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The Hermannburg Mission was established after 8/6/1877, when two Lutheran missionaries from the Hermannsburg Mission Society and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia arrived on the banks of the Finke River. It was also known as the Finke River Mission Station. The first buildings were constructed of wood and reed grass. The first church building was constructed in 1880, and the first service held in it on 12/11/1880. In July 1897 a new church building was commenced and completed in time for Christmas that year.

The Mission also erected a school and separate dormitories for the local boys and girls in the 1890s. The Mission operated under Lutheran control from 1877 till 1982 when the land was returned to the local Arrente people. It was one of the longest serving missions in Australia. During its tenure it was subject to many hardships along with the local people, including long droughts and disease. During its period of operation it undetook many pioneering activities in education, language and translation work, much of it still valued today.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 18/10/2018.



Note: Photograph attribution/source - By Cgoodwin - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3393351
Last Updated: Thursday 18th October, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH