St Patrick's Catholic Church
St Patrick's Catholic Church 09-04-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Patrick's Catholic Church 09-04-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Patrick's Catholic Church

Albury, NSW 2640

Church Information

Church Name: St Patrick's Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 515 Smollett St, Albury NSW 2640, Australia
Suburb: Albury
State: NSW
Postcode: 2640
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: To the Greater Glory of God. - This plaque commemorates the faith, foresight and generosity - of the Pioneer Catholics of this area, who, led by Michael - McAlroy PP VG commenced this building in 1870. It also - remembers those, who for over 100 yrears, have found joy in - worship, comfort in prayer and strength in the sacraments - received here....and the western end, completed in 1979, is a - tribute to the failth of the present parishioners. - Pray that the people of God in this parish will, like the church - they have built, be a strong witness to His presence in the midst - of their community. - Blessed by - The Most Rev Francis P Carroll DD DCL - Bishop of Wagga Wagga, on 25th November 1979 - John D Lane PP VG.

A plaque records: The Floodlights - for St Patrick's Church - have been dedicated to the memory of - Frank Kelly - a tireless worker for the Parish. - Who entered eternal life - on 7th March 1995. - These lights were switched on - by his wife Beryl - on the Feast of the Annunciation 1995.

 

Date Opened: 24-11-1872
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The St Patrick's Catholic Church, Albury was blessed and opened on 24/11/1872 by Bishops Lanigan and Quinn, accompanied by Dr McAlroy, the driving force behind the project, and other clergy. It was the second Catholic church built in Albury, the first being St Brigid's opened by Fr Twomey on 24/10/1858. Originally built as a combined church/school in 1858, it conitinued as a school, after the opening of St Patrick's, until it was demolished in 1938. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 11/4/2019.
Last Updated: Thursday 11th April, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH