Sts Peter & Paul's Old Catholic Cathedral

Sts Peter and Paul's Old Catholic Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW 2580

Church Information

Church Name: Sts Peter and Paul's Old Catholic Cathedral
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: Verner St & Bourke St, Goulburn NSW 2580, Australia
Suburb: Goulburn
State: NSW
Postcode: 2580
Foundation Stone Laid: 19-02-1871
Foundation Stone Notes: 

 (Freemans Journal - 25 February 1871) "BLESSING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE NEW CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, GOULBURN. We. learn from the Southern - Argus, on Sunday, after second Mass, the foundation stone of the new Catholic Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul in Goulburn was solemnly blessed and laid by the Eight Rev. Dr. Lanigan. Lord Bishop of Goulburn, assisted by the Right Rev. Dr. Matthew Quinn, Lord Bishop of Bathurst ; the Right Rev. Dr. James Murray, Lord Bishop of Maitland; the Very Rev. Dr. M. M'Alroy, Vicar-General of the diocese of Goulburn; the Very Rev. P. Dunnft, Administrator of the district ; the Rev. P. J. O'Keeffe, of Yass ; the Rev. M. Slattery, the Rev. J. Gallagher, and the Rev. M. Coffey, of Goulburn, and a large congregation of residents of the town, and district".

No Foundation Stone text details are known. Information/photographs are invited. 

Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

(Church Website - Extract -http://stspeterandpaulsoldcathedral.org/) "The first Mass in the Goulburn District was celebrated by Father Therry in 1833 at Matt Healey’s Inn (now called “Riversdale” – a National Trust property).

Archbishop Polding visited Goulburn in 1840 and laid out the site for the first Church...in 1844 the construction of the Sts Peter & Paul’s Parish Church began on the current site at the corner of Bourke and Verner Streets.  The original brick church was completed in 1848...

In 1864 Goulburn was created a Diocese...In 1871 the construction of the present Cathedral was commenced... 

The Cathedral was built in two stages.  The nave of the Cathedral was constructed first under the direct supervision of Mr. Stombuco...The second stage commenced in 1887 and was completed in 1890, under the direction of Mr. Charles Spadaccini, using the original design of Andrea Stombuco.  Prior to construction of the second stage the sanctuary of the old church was still in use...

Goulburn was raised to the status of an Archdiocese in 1948, thus making Archbishop Maguire the last Bishop of Goulburn and the first Archbishop of Canberra-Goulburn.  During the episcopate of Archbishop Eris O’Brien [16/11/1953 - 20/11/1966] the Archbishop moved to Canberra and St. Christopher’s Cathedral at Manuka became the centre of the Archdiocese.  Sts. Peter and Paul’s Cathedral has been known as the Old Cathedral since that time".

More photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 31/3/2018.

Last Updated: Saturday 31st March, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH