Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 712

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/hosting/template-v0d/class-MenuMaker.php on line 713
St Mary's Catholic Church - Former | Churches Australia
St Mary's Catholic Church - Former
St Mary's Catholic Church - Former 00-03-2014 - PRD Nationwide - Buninyong - realestate.com.au
St Mary's Catholic Church - Former 00-03-2014 - PRD Nationwide - Buninyong - realestate.com.au

St Mary's Catholic Church - Former

Clarendon, VIC 3352

Church Information

Church Name: St Mary's Catholic Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 6310 Midland Hwy, Clarendon VIC 3352, Australia
Suburb: Clarendon
State: VIC
Postcode: 3352
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: 09-11-1871
Date Closed: 09-03-2014
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

This former St Mary's Catholic Church, Clarendon property is now privately owned. It was opened on 9/11/1871 and closed in 9/3/2014.

"OPENING OF THE NEW CHURCH AT CLAREDON. On Thursday, November 9th, his Lordship the Bishop, accompanied by various clergymen who assisted at the Mission, left Ballarat early in the morning, and proceeded through Buninyong to open the new church recently erected by the untiring exertions and liberality of the Catholics of Claredon, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin under the title of 'Auxilium Christianum'. The church, which is composed of stone, with Lal Lal white brick facings, is 43 feet long by 20 feet wide, including a nice chancel, and has cost up to the present about 500 [pounds]. As the Bishop was approaching the locality, a large number of horsemen met and escorted, him to the church, arriving at 11 o'c;ock. Here also were a large number of children, 192, prepared for Confirmation, who were similarly attired as candidates in Ballarat. A procession, headed by the cross bearer and acolytes, was formed of the children and moved around the church, followed by the clergymen and the Bishop, who sprinkled the edifice with holy water. The building having been blessed and consecrated, by High Mass, coram episcopo, was celebrated by the Very Rev Dean Moore, the Rev T O'Donnell acting as deacon, Rev M J Shanahan, as sub-deacon, and Rev J D O'Sullivan, as master of ceremonies. After the Communion the Rev J D O'Sullivan preached an impressive sermon on devotion to the Blessed Virgin. The collection amounted to about 40 [pounds] 9 [shillings]." (Extract Freeman's Journal. 25 Novemnber 1871.)

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 13/3/2017.

 

Last Updated: Saturday 7th September, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH