St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church
St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church 03-10-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church 03-10-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church

Moree, NSW 2400

Church Information

Church Name: St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 39 Boston St, Moree NSW 2400, Australia
Suburb: Moree
State: NSW
Postcode: 2400
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone tablet records: A M D G - Church of St Francis Xavier - solemnly blessed and dedicated - 15th March 1959 by - Most Reverend Bishop E J Doody DD - Rt Rev Mgr L J O'Reilly PP - (Foundations of earlier church preserved).

Date Opened: 15-06-1913
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The first Catholic church in Moree was a small wooden building erected about 1884 in Warialda Street on land dinated by Joseph Jurd. It was known as St Henry's. The church was blessed and opened by the second Bishop of Armidale, Dr Torreggiani.

It was replaced by a new brick building, at the corner of Warialda and Alice Streets, which was blessed and opened in January 1930 by Bishop John Coleman of Armidale. It was known as Sts John and Henry.

The present St Francis Xavier Church, in Boston Street,  was blessed and opened on 15/6/13 by Bishop O'Connor of Armidale. Extensive renovations were carried out in 1958/59. The renovated building was blessed and opened on 15/3/1959 by Bishop E J Doody.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 3/12/2017.



For additional history refer the the church website: http://moreecatholicchurchparishhistory.blogspot.com.au/
Last Updated: Sunday 3rd December, 2017
ADVANCED SEARCH