A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Bairnsdale Methodist Church - Former
Bairnsdale Methodist Church - Former - Parsonage, Church and Sabbath School 00-00-1900 - Photograph supplied by Bruce Walker
Bairnsdale Methodist Church - Former 00-00-1967 - Bruce Walker
Bairnsdale Methodist Church - Pipe Organ built in 1935 00-00-1967 - Bruce Walker

Bairnsdale Methodist Church - Former

Bairnsdale, VIC 3875

Church Information

Church Name: Bairnsdale Methodist Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Methodist (Wesleyan and Other)
Street Address: Francis St & Service St, Bairnsdale VIC 3875, Australia
Suburb: Bairnsdale
State: VIC
Postcode: 3875
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known for the church building. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone tablet was laid for the Wesleyan Sunday School when it was opened on the 23rd February, 1893.

Date Opened: 00-00-1877
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former Bairnsdale Methodist Church building has now been demolished.

This building replaced an earlier wooden structure which had been built in 1868 on the corner of McCulloch and Pinnock Streets.

In 1876, land was purchased on the corner of Service and Francis Streets for a new church building. Initially the nave of the new Wesleyan Church was constructed and opened in 1877. (The transepts were added in 1898 to accommodate the growing congregation). The parsonage was constructed in 1880 and the Wesleyan Sabbath School was constructed in 1893. The church changed its name in 1901, following Church Union, from Wesleyan Church to Methodist Church. A pipe organ was installed in 1935 and was restored in 1966. Following the formation of the Uniting Church in 1977, the Church was renamed Wesley Uniting Church. It was in constant use until demolished in April 1989 with plans underway to erect a new building in Lanes Road, Lucknow. The pipe organ was dismantled and re-installed in the new building for the now named Bairnsdale Uniting Church.

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 8/5/2018.

Last Updated: Monday 4th February, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH