United Evangelical Church - Former

United Evangelical Church - Former

Brisbane City, QLD 4000

Church Information

Church Name: United Evangelical Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Dr Lang's Chapel
Denomination: Other Denominations
Street Address: 130 William St, Brisbane City QLD 4000, Australia
Suburb: Brisbane City
State: QLD
Postcode: 4000
Foundation Stone Laid: 21-03-1849
Foundation Stone Notes: 

A plaque marks the location of the earlier church. It records:

United Evangelical Church - (Dr Lang's Chapel) - On this site was opened on 13 April 1851 a "neat and commodius" chapel for the United Evangelical Church. This church was formed on 21 March 1849 subsequent to the arrival on 21 Jan 1849 of the Fortitude, the first of Dr John Dunmore Lang's three migrant ships. The church was made up of Baptists, Congregationalists and Presbyterians, and the minister was Rev Charles Stewart, chaplain of the Fortitude.

The church disbanded in 1855 and the chapel was sold on 7 April 1857 to Dr Lang. The Queensland Government purchased the building from him in Dec 1860 and it was used as the first Central Telegraph Office until 1879. It then became part of the Government Printing Office and was demolished in June 1899 to make way for the Land's Office (Executive) Building.

Unveiled 13 April 1999 - 150th Anniversary of the arrival of the Lang immigrants - and the establishment of the United Evangelical Church.

 

Date Opened: 13-04-1851
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

No other details are known. More historical information/pictures of the former church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 28/9/2017.
Last Updated: Thursday 28th September, 2017
ADVANCED SEARCH