A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church
Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church 01-04-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church 01-04-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church

Rydalmere, NSW 2116

Church Information

Church Name: Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 4 Myrtle St, Rydalmere NSW 2116, Australia
Suburb: Rydalmere
State: NSW
Postcode: 2116
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: To the Honour and Glory of God - This church of the Holy Name of Mary - was solemnly dedicated by - His Lordship Bishop Bede Heather DD - The First Bishop of Parramatta - on Sunday 6th August 1989 - in the 100th year of Rydalmere Parish - Rev Fr John McCaffery, Parish Priest.

 

Date Opened: 06-08-1989
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church, Rydalmere.

"First evidence of Mass in this area was in 1855, in a converted barn near Ermington House, behind Ryde-Parramatta Golf Course...

In 1886, Thomas O’Neill purchased and subdivided part of Vineyard Estate into 79 lots naming the area ‘Rydalmere’ and donating one block for a church. First mention of Rydalmere as a parish was when Cardinal Moran blessed the church-school on 18 September 1889. Rev Ed Kearney was pastor and was also responsible for the Hospital for the Insane. Records show that ‘in 1912, most Catholics in the parish were insane’ – 312 parishioners and 360 in the hospital.

In 1915, fire destroyed the church in mysterious circumstances. The historic house ‘Truganini’ in South Street was used for Mass and the school. Archbishop Kelly laid the foundation stone for the second church-school in 1916. The school closed in 1941, but after World War II came large scale housing developments in the area and the school reopened in 1949. More extensions were completed in December 1957 and April 1958...

Rev Steve Ford died in 1981, after 32 years as Parish Priest. He was succeeded by Rev John McCaffery. With the changes to church liturgy following Vatican II and the need for extensive repairs to the existing church, the parish decided in 1988 to construct a modern building in Myrtle Street. It was dedicated by Bishop Bede Heather in August 1989." (Extract from church website - https://holymary.org.au/who-we-are/#history)

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 25/4/2019.

Last Updated: Thursday 25th April, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH