St Patrick
St Patrick
St Patrick

St Patrick's Catholic Church

The Rocks, Sydney, NSW 2000

Church Information

Church Name: St Patrick's Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic
Street Address: 141 Harrington Street
Suburb: The Rocks, Sydney
State: NSW
Postcode: 2000
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: -
Date Opened: 00-00-1844
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

Plaque records: "St Patrick's Church - Dedicated in 1844 this church became the immediate focus of worship for Irish Catholics. The land was given by William Davis whose home had been used for secret devotions from 1817". RAHS Plaque records: "Convent Chapel - This plaque marks the site of William Davis' cottage where, following the deportation of Fr Jeremiah O'Flinn, the Blessed Sacrament was preserved from 1818 until 1820. During this period, the colony was without a Catholic Priest and the site became a focus for Catholic devotion. In 1876 the Chapel was constructed for the adjacent Convent of the Sisters of Mercy. It stands on part of the site previously occupied by William Davis' cottage. A Marian shrine was established in 1928 at the behest of Sister Mary Marcellus Baragary and Sister Mary Aquin Power RSM, co-founders of St Patrick's Commercial College, using donations provided mainly by ex-students of the College. In 2001 the shrine was relocated nearby, permitting restoration of the Chapel, for use by the community". Plaque records:"After a three month voyage, from Dun Loaghaire, Ireland, on the barque "Martha Birnie", eight Dominican Sisters set foot on Australian soil on 4th September 1867. They came directly to St Patrick's Church to give thanks for their safe arrival and to ask a blessing on their first foundation to be made in Maitland. 10th September 1867". Placed with love and gratitude by the Dominican Sisters 4th September 2002.

More information/photographs invited
Last Updated: Tuesday 12th July, 2016
ADVANCED SEARCH