A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St Dunstan's Anglican Church - Former
St Dunstan's Anglican Church - Former 26-11-2018 - realestate.com.au
St Dunstan's Anglican Church - Former 26-11-2018 - realestate.com.au

St Dunstan's Anglican Church - Former

Ungarie, NSW 2669

Church Information

Church Name: St Dunstan's Anglican Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 8 Mackrell St, Ungarie NSW 2669, Australia
Suburb: Ungarie
State: NSW
Postcode: 2669
Foundation Stone Laid: 23-02-1922
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Two foundations stones record:

(1) A M D G - This stone was laid by - The - Right Reverend - G M Long DD L LD CBE - Bishop of Bathurst - 23 Feb 1922? - C S Robertson - Rector.[some dates unclear - confirmation/correction invited]

(2) A M D G - This stone was laid by - The Venerable J H Reeves - Archdeacon of Camidge - on - 27th August 1978 - Rt Rev E K Leslie - Bishop - Rev J T Clarkson - Rector.

Date Opened: 01-09-1924
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former St Dunstan's Anglican Church, Ungarie property is now privately owned.

"Records show that church services began in the Ungarie district with travelling Mission ministers conducting services. They travelled by horse and buggy or on horseback to district homesteads where marriages and baptisms were conducted, as were the church services. The ministers stayed overnight at the homesteads before moving to the next district.

Early services at Ungarie were held under a pepper tree in the grounds of Mr W Hargreaves' home. The Rector from Wyalong stayed with the Hargreaves family after the services and returned to Wyalong the following day.

In the early 1920's Mr Robert Macrell, a leading businessman and landowner in Ungarie, donated blocks of land to most religious denominations on which to build churches.

The foundation stone for St Dunstan's original building was laid on 23rd Febfuary 1922 by Bishop of Bathurst, Bishop Long. The church was completed and licensed on 1st September 1924." (Extract see - http://www.bathurstanglican.org.au/Parishes/WestWyalong.html).

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 26/11/2018

 

Last Updated: Monday 26th November, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH