A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St Matthew's Anglican Church
St Matthew's Anglican Church 11-07-2002 - Alan Patterson
St Matthew's Anglican Church 11-07-2002 - Alan Patterson

St Matthew's Anglican Church

Windsor, NSW 2756

Church Information

Church Name: St Matthew's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 1 Moses St, Windsor NSW 2756, Australia
Suburb: Windsor
State: NSW
Postcode: 2756
Foundation Stone Laid: 11-10-1817
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone was laid by Governor Macquarie on 11th October 1817, a ceremony which had to be repeated on the following day, as someone had stolen the coin placed under the stone.

Foundation stone text records: This foundation stone - was laid by - Lachlan Macquarie Esq - Governor Of New South Wales - on the 11th October 1817.

A commemorative stone records: St Matthew's Church - Erected AD 1820 - L Macquarie Esq. Governor.

Date Opened: 08-12-1822
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

St Matthew's Anglican Church has quite rightly been called one of the most beautiful buildings in Australia. Designed by Francis Greenway, under instruction from Governor Macquarie, the building is a landmark. The church was consecrated in December 1822 with Samuel Marsden conducting the opening service. It is the masterpiece of Francis Greenway, the convict architect, who was retained by Governor Macquarie to rectify the poor standard of building in the colony.

The church building was consecrated by Rev Samuel Marsden on 8/12/1822.

For further historical information on the church refer to the church website: http://www.windsoranglican.asn.au/our-history#foundationstone

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 27/4/2018.

Last Updated: Friday 27th April, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH