A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Silverton Wesleyan Methodist Church - Former

Silverton Wesleyan Methodist Church - Former

Silverton, NSW 2880

Church Information

Church Name: Silverton Wesleyan Methodist Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Silverton Presbyterian Church
Denomination: Methodist (Wesleyan and Other)
Street Address: Silverton NSW 2880, Australia
Suburb: Silverton
State: NSW
Postcode: 2880
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: 20-01-1886
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

(Christian Colonist - 1 January 1886)  "SILVERTON LETTER. The erecting and opening of the first permanent building for the worship of God marks the entrance into another chapter of the history of Silverton. On Sunday, Dec. 20, the Presbyterian Church, a nice stone building, neatly fitted up, with Murray pine roof all nicely stained and varnished, was opened for divine service."

(Barrier Miner - 6 November 1891)  "Silverton Wesleyan Church. A week ago our Silverton correspondent telegraphed an account of the wrecking of the Wesleyan Church building there during a severe duststorm. The Rev. Thomas Trestrail, the minister in charge, has now issued the following appeal :- A terrific storm of wind, accompanied by clouds of dust and sharp lightning, passed over Silverton on October 29, causing much destruction. Among the many buildings damaged, the Wesleyan Church was totally wrecked. There are indications that the building was first struck by lightning and then blown down by the wind. This is one of the earliest churches erected in the Barrier district, and was built when all material had to be carried from Terowie by road waggons."

The former Wesleyan Methodist Church property is now privately owned. It was originally built for the Silverton Presbyterian Church, but sold to the Methodist Church in 1890s, when their building was destroyed by a tempest in 1891. No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 16/2/2018.

The former St Carthage Catholic Church is in the distant left of the photograph.

Last Updated: Thursday 31st May, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH