Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill West - Former
Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former 28-07-2004 - Derrick Jessop
Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former 00-00-1905 - Salvation Army Website - See Note.

Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former

Broken Hill, NSW 2880

Church Information

Church Name: Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Salvation Army
Street Address: 196 Wolfram St, Broken Hill NSW 2880, Australia
Suburb: Broken Hill
State: NSW
Postcode: 2880
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation stone details of any of the former Salvation Army buildings in Broken Hill is known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

"Broken Hill Salvation Army was opened by Captain Cranwell in 1887 using Coombe's Ironmongery in Argent Street for its meetings. Other Salvation Army corps (churches) followed: Broken Hill West in Gypsum Street, Broken Hill in 1893 and Broken Hill North in 1895. In her book, Booth's Drum, The Salvation Army in Australia 1880-1980, Barbara Bolton writes: "By 1895, in spite of an exodus of Broken Hill miners to Western Australia, the Army was maintaining four corps (churches) in the Silver City and people were being turned away because the halls could not contain them"" Extract from Website: https://salvos.org.au/archive/our-story/our-history-old/local-history/gwst/broken-hill/dusty-beginnings/

No addresses, dates of opening or dates of closing for any of the former corps buildings in the photographs is known. More historical information/photographs of the former corps buildings/congregations are invited.

See separate entry for the current Salvation Army Corps, Broken Hill details.

Photographs uploaded 21/10/2018.

 



 Note: Photograph attribution/source - https://salvos.org.au/about-us/our-story/our-history/local-history/gwst/broken-hill/dusty-beginnings/
Last Updated: Thursday 25th October, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH