St Patrick's Catholic Church
St Patrick's Catholic Church 12-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Patrick's Catholic Church 12-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Patrick's Catholic Church

Camperdown, VIC 3260

Church Information

Church Name: St Patrick's Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 27 Walls St, Camperdown VIC 3260, Australia
Suburb: Camperdown
State: VIC
Postcode: 3260
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details for the 1900 church building are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone records: A M D G - This stone - was blessed and laid by the - Most Rev D Foley - Bishop of Ballarat - on Sunday, 4th February 1923 - Rev J Shine - Pastor.

A plaque records: St Patrick's Parish Centenary - These extensions and alterations - were completed in 1990 to the Greater Honour - and Glory of God and to the memory of - our Catholic Pioneers. - This church was consecrated by - Most Rev R A Mulkearns DD DCL - Bishop of Ballarat - on - Sunday, April 22nd 1990 - Rev W Van De Camp - Parish Priest...

Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

In 1885 a small wooden church was built on two aces of land east of the Commercial Hotel. Priests based in Colac, travelling on horseback conducted the monthly services. The old church building was also used as a school from 1886.

In 1889 Fr O'Neill was appointed the first resident priest. The present site was purchased as a more suitable location, with the old church building moved in two sections on horse frame, in 1891, to the current site. This old weatherboard church building continued to be used as a Catholic School until it was destroyed by fire in 1935. The current St Patrick's church was built in 1900.

The building was enlarged in 1923 with the addition of a sanctuary and vestry, and improvements, including the installation of new leadlight windows. Major renovations and alterations were undertaken in 1990, with the entrance changed to Walls Street.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 16/1/2018.

 

Last Updated: Tuesday 16th January, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH