St Alipius Catholic Church
St Alipius Catholic Church 07-03-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Alipius Catholic Church 07-03-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Alipius Catholic Church

Ballarat East, VIC 3350

Church Information

Church Name: St Alipius Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: Victoria St, Ballarat East VIC 3350, Australia
Suburb: Ballarat East
State: VIC
Postcode: 3350
Foundation Stone Laid: 14-12-1924
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone details are known, but a commemorative stone records: A M D G - This Memorial Stone - to commemorate the completion of - St Alipius Church - was laid by - The Right Rev D Foley DD - Bishop of Ballarat - on Sunday 14th December 1924.
Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

St Alipius had its beginnings in the Ballarat Gold Rush that started in August 1851. As thousands flocked to the diggings, Father Parrick Dunne celebrated the first Mass in October 1851.

In 1852 a second priest Father Matthew Downing arrived and named he Parish after St Alipius and the Bishop of the time, James Alipius Goold.

In February 1853, Father Downing moved to the present site and erected a church made of slabs with a canvas roof.

More histrical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited.

Photographs uploaded 11/3/2017.

 

Last Updated: Saturday 11th March, 2017
ADVANCED SEARCH